My list of bees misinformation:
- When feeding bees, sugar is the same as honey - nope see this
- There are no wild bees - In the UK I know many hives that have existed more than 9 years untouched
- Bees cannot exist without treatment and man's help - They often do better without intervention. In a recent Hampshire Beekeeping Association 2013 winter loss survey untreated bee hives were the healthiest bees.
- There is no point in keeping bees except for honey - We can live without honey but not pollination
- The British native bee is extinct - There are still pockets, but more importantly even though it's gene pool may have been diluted and masked by thousands of imported and unsuitable bees, it is never lost. Black Bee gene expression rises during poor seasons and when importation is not possible (WWII)
- Bees can go feral - I think bees are wild, they have never been domesticated. It is an insult to call them feral
- There is no single cause behind bee decline - I have not heard of a single problem that does not ultimately trace back to man (even varroa and AFB ... the beekeper's disease).